Table of Contents
Jenkins has native integrations with the following OSes. See respective sections for how to make Jenkins run in the background automatically:
- Installing Jenkins/Hudson as Solaris 10 service
- Installing Jenkins on Ubuntu
- Installing Jenkins on Red Hat Distributions
- Installing Jenkins as a Unix daemon
- Installing Jenkins with Docker
Alternatively, if you have a servlet container that supports Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0, such as Glassfish v2, Tomcat 5 (or any later versions), then you can run them as services, and deploy
jenkins.war as you would any other war file. Container specific documentation is available if you choose this route.
Top of page
If you're running on Windows it is good to run Jenkins as a service so it starts up automatically without requiring a user to log in. The easiest way is to run the Windows installer, linked from Jenkins' homepage. This also has the advantage of being easier to automate.
The manual way is to follow Installing Jenkins as a Windows service. Alternatively, you can install a servlet container like GlassFish and Tomcat, which can run as a service by itself, and then deploy Jenkins to it.
Since Jenkins was written to work on unix-like platforms, some parts assume the presence of unix-utilities. It is advised to install these as well on Windows. Install UnxUtils (this includes a shell that seems to work with forward and backwards slashes and does globbing correctly)(UnxUtils does not download), put it in the Windows
PATH , and copy
C:\bin\sh.exe (or whichever drive you use) to make shebang lines work. This should get you going. If UnxUtils gives you trouble (Fork Failed Errors), try Win-Bash.
TODO. This feature is under development.
Jenkins Offline Installation
Also, see how other people are deploying Jenkins/Hudson to get some idea of how to make it fit your environment.
- How I setup Git, Gerrit, Jenkins, Nginx for 1 master with linux, windows, mac slaves for Continuous Delivery of Cpp builds and tests.
- Case study of Sven Reimers
- Case study of Kohsuke Kawaguchi
- Case study of Rhett Sutphin
- Case study of Ned Collyer
- Case Study of Arnaud Lacour
- Case Study of JBoss
- we'd love to list yours here. Please talk to us.