Please use Epic ticket for comments, feedbacks, etc.
Introduce a new subsystem in Jenkins that:
- lets you design a whole pipeline, not just a single linear set of tasks
- enables the said pipeline configuration as code in your SCM
- makes it easier to set up new pipelines
- differentiates multiple branches in the same repository
This is the key new feature that positions Jenkins for continuous delivery use cases and other more complex automations of today.
... feature walk-through ...
- Thus, this feature should be made available out of the box by default (JENKINS-NNNN)
- Workflow stage view
- Workflow gets renamed to Pipeline, so that users understand what it is without explanation
- Shared library improvements to simplify Jenkinsfile
- The execution engine of this is Workflow plugin
- Multi-branch workflow project type defines a new kind of
folder that is associated with a single source code repository and automatically create/destory a job
inside as branches are created/destroied in the repository.
- Organization folder
- Branch API plugin and SCM API plugin defines a contract for version control systems (such as Git) and hosting (such as GitHub) to define branch discovery, repository discovery, etc. CloudBees GitHub Branch Source Plugin implements this for GitHub, so that GitHub organization can be added as an organization folder to automatically scan every repo & branch in it.