View Self-Organizing Swarm Plug-in Modules on the plugin site for more information.
Older versions of this plugin may not be safe to use. Please review the following warnings before using an older version:
This plugin enables slaves to auto-discover nearby Jenkins master and join it automatically, thereby forming an ad-hoc cluster.
This plugin consists of two pieces:
- A self-contained CLI client that discovers a nearby Jenkins (via a UDP broadcast) and joins it
- A plugin that needs to be installed on Jenkins master to accept swarm clients
The primary use case of this came from "Jenkins slave appliance" — a virtual machine pre-packaged with the swarm client CLI — that someone can just grab and run.
With the swarm client, a person who's willing to contribute some of his computing power to the cluster just needs to run this virtual machine, and the cluster automatically gets additional resources. Because it's packaged as a VM, he need not worry about the builds/tests interfering with the host system or alter its settings unexpectedly.
- Install the swarm plugin from the update center
- Download the CLI agent from here.
- Run the CLI agent like
java -jar path/to/swarm-client-jar-with-dependencies.jar. There's no required command option, but run with the
-helpoption to see the available options.
Error configuration : "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx doesn't have the URL configuration yet"
This error indicates that the Jenkins master running at the given URL has never configured, and therefore the swarm client cannot determine its HTTP URL. To fix this problem, please go to the system configuration screen of this Jenkins, and click "submit".
Version 1.19 (2014 Oct 6)
- Correct bug introduced by 1.18 where the client did not work _unless_ you set tool locations (#24995, see pull request 18)
Version 1.18 (2014 Oct 2)
Version 1.17 (2014 Sep 30)
- Add -noRetryAfterConnected and -retry options. These provide optional exit strategies for the default unlimited retry loop.
- Require a well-formed master URL, ensuring trailing slash
[FIXED JENKINS-21892] Update swarm client to send CSRF token
- Use latest releases of commons-codec, args4j, and remoting
Version 1.16 (2014 Jul 1)
- undocumented, or maybe a typo of 1.12?
Version 1.12, 1.11 (2014 Jan 15)
Version 1.10 (2013 Oct 21)
- swarm 1.9 can't connect to current LTS as slave.jar too old (JENKINS-20138).
Version 1.9 (2013 May 18))
- Add option for specifying Node.Mode(pull #3).
Version 1.8 (2012 Nov 21)
- Changing broadcast to send a UDP packet payload of 128 bytes instead of 0
- Allow slave connection without requiring UDP
- Adds disableSslVerification option
Version 1.6 (2012 Mar 18)
- fixed references from Hudson to Jenkins.
- Swarm Client fails to connect to Jenkins when Authentication is enabled but Authorization is diabled (JENKINS-11663).
- support remoting 2.12.
Version 1.5 (2011 Aug 11)
- check whether user has SlaveComputer.CREATE permission.
- allow authentication in swarm plugin (JENKINS-5504).
Version 1.4 (2010 Aug 14)
- Fixed broken help links.
- Node properties save correctly.
- Added Japanese localization.
Version 1.3 (2010 Jan 14)
- Fixed a packaging problem in the client jar (JENKINS-5275)
Version 1.2 (2009 Dec 30)
- Minor text correction
Version 1.1 (2009 Jul 15)
- Added the
Version 1.0 (2009 May 23)
- Initial release