This plugin creates a pipeline of Hudson\Jenkins jobs and gives a view so that you can visualise it.
View Build Pipeline on the plugin site for more information.
Please raise issues @ http://code.google.com/p/build-pipeline-plugin/issues/list
Continuous Integration has become a widely adopted practice in modern software development. Jenkins & Hudson are great tools for supporting Continuous Integration.
Taking it to the next level: Continuous integration can become the centerpiece of your deployment pipeline, orchestrating the promotion of a version of software through quality gates and into production. By extending the concepts of CI you can create a chain of jobs each one subjecting your build to quality assurance steps. These QA steps may be a combination of manual and automated steps. Once a build has passed all these, it can be automatically deployed into production.
In order to better support this process, we have developed the Build Pipeline Plugin. This gives the ability to form a chain of jobs based on their upstream\downstream dependencies. Downstream jobs may, as per the default behaviours, be triggered automatically ,or by a suitable authorised user manually triggering it.
You can also see a history of pipelines in a view, the current status and where each version got to in the chain based on it's revision number in VCS.
We'd love to hear about your experience using it or any enhancement suggestions - please let us know:
- Twitter: @CentrumSystems
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pipeline View
- Install the plugin using the Hudson\Jenkins update centre and restart.
- Create a view of the new type "Build Pipeline View". Note: it doesn't take you directly to it's configuration page
- To get to the configuration options, you must go to the configuration page directly. E.g.http://localhost:8080/view/new-view/configure (if your view happens to be called "new-view")
- The below outlines what each interesting parameter controls
Build Pipeline View Title
Gives a title to the page that displays the view
Select Initial Job
This is the first job in the chain. It will traverse through the downstream jobs to build up the entire pipeline
No of Displayed Builds
The number of historical builds to be displayed on a page
Manual downstream build step configuration
In order to make the next build in the chain manual, check the "require manual build execution" checkbox in the Post Build action section of the job configuration.
Automated downstream build step
To add a build step that will trigger automatically upon the successful completion of the previous one, use one of the following mechanisms.
- Project Build Trigger
- Build Other Projects Post Build action
Hosted on Google Code
This is hosted on Google Code so that we can support both Jenkins and Hudson.
Please use Google Code rather than this page to ask questions, report bugs and request features.
More on Pipelines
The canonical reference for pipelines is the book Continuous Delivery.
Chapter 5 of the book, which describes how deployment pipelines work, is available for free here.
Are you facing these challenges as you try to meet your delivery commitments?
- It takes a long time for projects or new development resources to become productive.
- Inability to scale resources or development partners to meet business demands.
- Inconsistent quality of software deliverables across project teams or suppliers.
- Error prone manual build processes which are difficult to scale
- Inconsistent application of tools and processes resulting in key resource dependencies.
- Dependency on hero factor in software deployments – asking too much of individuals to successfully implement software.
- Uncertainty around the impact of change
- Lack of visibility of the quality or status of change until late in the delivery lifecycle.
- Spiralling costs of change due to ever increasing technical debt
Centrum have developed an offering we call Software Delivery Mastery (SDM). We can help in the following areas:
- Software build process
- Continuous integration
- Deployment automation
- Automated inspection and testing
- Environment provisioning and configuration management
- Project inception / developer on-boarding.
For information about how we can help you please contact us or visit www.centrumsystems.com.au