This plugin creates provides a pipeline of Hudson\Jenkins jobs and gives a view so that you can visualise it. Build Pipeline View of upstream and downstream connected jobs that typically form a build pipeline. In addition, it offers the ability to define manual triggers for jobs that require intervention prior to execution, e.g. an approval process outside of Jenkins.
We recently made Build Pipeline Plugin 1.3.0 APLHA available. We would appreciate if you could help us test it. We'll be looking to release it properly to Jenkins in the following days.
Lets make this better together! Build Pipeline Plugin - How to Contribute
Have a look at what is coming up and contribute your suggestions - Build Pipeline Plugin - Roadmap
Please raise issues @ http://code.google.com/p/build-pipeline-plugin/issues/list
Source code @ https://build-pipeline-plugin.googlecode.com/hg/
- Address boundary case of JENKINS-23532 where relative paths would not retrigger
- (-) JENKINS-45137 Fix stack trace for pipelines created / edited in v 1.5.6
- (-) JENKINS-23532 Manual trigger execution causes TriggerException
- (-) JENKINS-44324 NullPointerException upgrading from very old versions of plugin
- (-) Fix issue with dashboard view not loading
- (+)Added support for extensible BuildCard
- Issues #34722 (Pull #88) Performance fix when determining view permissions
- Issues #14591 (Pull #96 and Pull #106) Add the ability to choose which parameters build will be displayed
- Eaten by INFRA-588
- Pull #105 Keep git-plugin RevisionParameterAction on rerun of a build
- Issues #31088 show displayName by default
- Issue #33935 Fix re-running a build - broken in Jenkins > 1.653, LTS > 1.651.1
- Issue #34722 Performance fix - limit the number of downstream projects iterated over
- Issue #33591 Fix manual trigger breaking in Jenkins >1.653
- Issue #31746 Fix issues in layout, UI updates
- (issue #30801) Re-triggering a failed build copies the Actions from previous builds
- (issue #28068) Build Pipeline Dashboard View destroys layout of jenkins
- (issue #29477) View bad for Build Pipeline Plugin
- (issue #28180) Build Pipeline background layout does not extend full width of pipeline
- (JENKINS-25666) Fixed left-side indentation for new jenkins versions
- (JENKINS-20499) Null cause brokes Cause entry and job
- (JENKINS-22665) (JENKINS-19755) Don't store whole user object for cause
- Fixed UI tests
- Removed test libs from final package
- Support cloudbees-folder-plugin (JENKINS-14565) (JENKINS-20841)
- Start build with parameters for parametrized builds (JENKINS-25427) (JENKINS-19121)
- Clicking on "console" icon doesn't work (JENKINS-25430)
You can also see a history of pipelines in a view, the current status and where each version got to in the chain based on it's its revision number in VCS.
We'd love to hear about your experience using it or any enhancement suggestions - please let us know:
- Email: email@example.com (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Widget Connector url http://twitter.com/CentrumSystems
The Pipeline View
Navigate to the configure view page.
Start Build of Pipeline for ...
Invokes a new build of the initial job in the build pipeline.
View/Hide Build Pipeline Icon Legend
Toggles the view of the Build Pipeline Icon legend.
- Install the plugin using the Hudson\Jenkins Plugin Manager and restart.
- Create a view of the new type Build Pipeline View.
You will then be redirected directly to the configuration page.
The table below outlines what each interesting parameter controls:
Trigger to the Most Recent Build Where applicable, restricts the appearance
The name of the Build Pipeline View
This message will be displayed on the view page. Useful for describing what this view is about, or linking to relevant resources. Can contain HTML tags.
Build Pipeline View Title
Gives a title to the page that displays the view
Select Initial Job
This is the first job in the build pipeline. It will traverse through the downstream jobs to build up the entire build pipeline.
Select from a drop-down list of jobs.
No of Displayed Builds
The number of historical builds to be displayed on a page.
triggers to most recent successful builds
Select this option to restrict the display of a Trigger button to only the most recent successful build
latest build pipeline
Yes: Only the
most recent successful builds displayed on the view will have a manual trigger button for the next build in the pipeline.
No: All successful builds displayed on the view will have a manual trigger button for the next build in the pipeline.
Always allow manual trigger on pipeline steps
Select this option if you want to manually execute or re-execute any step of the pipeline at any time.
Show pipeline parameters
Select this option if you want to display the parameters used to run the first job in the pipeline.
- Navigate to the Job configuration page.
- Scroll down to the Post-build Actions section.
- For an Automated downstream build step;
To add a build step that will trigger automatically upon the successful completion of the previous one:
- Select the Build other projects check-box
- Enter the name(s) of the downstream projects in the Projects to build field. (n.b. Multiple projects can be specified by using comma, like "abc, def".)
- For a Manually Triggered downstream build step:
To add a build step that will wait for a manual trigger:
- Select the Build Pipeline Plugin -> Manually Execute Downstream Project check-box
- Enter the name(s) of the downstream projects in the Downstream Project Names field. (n.b. Multiple projects can be specified by using comma, like "abc, def".)
- For an Automated downstream build step;
- Click Save
When upgrading from 1.0.0 to 1.1.x some of the previous view and job configuration fields have been removed. You may notice some errors of the following errors appearing in the Hudson/Jenkins log.
WARNING: Skipping a non-existent field downstreamProjectName com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.NonExistentFieldException: No such field au.com.centrumsystems.hudson.plugin.buildpipeline.trigger.BuildPipelineTrigger.downstreamProjectName
This is because the configuration files refer to old fields that may no longer exist.
In order to correct these issues go to the Job configuration page, confirm that all of the details are correct and click on the Save button.
This is hosted on Google Code so that we can support both Jenkins and Hudson.
Please use Google Code rather than this page to ask questions, report bugs and request features.
More on Pipelines
The canonical reference for pipelines is the book Continuous Delivery.
Chapter 5 of the book, which describes how deployment pipelines work, is available for free here.
Are you facing these challenges as you try to meet your delivery commitments?
- It takes a long time for projects or new development resources to become productive.
- Inability to scale resources or development partners to meet business demands.
- Inconsistent quality of software deliverables across project teams or suppliers.
- Error prone manual build processes which are difficult to scale
- Inconsistent application of tools and processes resulting in key resource dependencies.
- Dependency on hero factor in software deployments – asking too much of individuals to successfully implement software.
- Uncertainty around the impact of change
- Lack of visibility of the quality or status of change until late in the delivery lifecycle.
- Spiralling costs of change due to ever increasing technical debt
Centrum Systems have developed an offering we call Software Delivery Mastery (SDM). We can help in the following areas:
- Software build process
- Continuous integration
- Deployment automation
- Automated inspection and testing
- Environment provisioning and configuration management
- Project inception / developer on-boarding.
For information about how we can help you please contact us or visit http://www.centrumsystems.com.au