View Structs on the plugin site for more information.
Jenkins has many DSL like plugins that require having short concise names for implementations of the extension points and other Jenkins objects. For example, Job DSL Plugin refers to each
SCM extension by its short name. The same goes for pipeline plugin.
It benefits users that these DSL plugins use consistent names. This plugin, together with the
@Symbol annotation, allow plugin developers to name their extension and have all the DSL plugins recognize them.
Usage for developers creating any plugins
To allow all the DSL plugins to refer to your extensions by the same name, put
@Symbol annotation along side your
@Extension. The symbol name must be a valid Java identifier, and it should be short and concise. To keep the symbol name short, it needs to be only unique within the extension point. For example,
GitToolInstaller should both have a symbol name
git, because they are from different extension points. For compatibility reasons with DSL plugins that predates the structs plugin, some extensions may have legacy names that do not follow this convention.
If you are targeting 1.x version of Jenkins, you must also add the following dependency to your plugin POM:
Usage for DSL plugin developers
Look up an extension by its symbol:
Describable object from a key/value pairs, much like how Structured Form Submission does it via
Version 1.20 (Jul 29, 2019)
- - JENKINS-33217Getting issue details... STATUS Log a warning when additional parameters are passed into `DescribableModel` objects, such as Pipeline steps, since these parameters are currently being ignored.
- Internal - Update parent pom (PR-46) and fix unit tests (PR-50)
Version 1.19 (?)
Version 1.18 (Apr 25, 2019)
JENKINS-44892Getting issue details...
CustomDescribableModelAPI to allow custom instantiation and uninstantiation for
DescribableModelfor advanced use cases.
Version 1.17 (Oct 05, 2018)
Version 1.16 (Oct 04, 2018)
- Analysis problems with
Version 1.15 (Sept 25, 2018)
- Automatically coerce
Stringto a number or boolean when a parameter expects a number or boolean.
Version 1.14 (Feb 14, 2018)
- Parameter handling (dependency for JENKINS-37215)
Version 1.13 (Feb 1, 2018)
- Hotfix for sigh Groovy-related madness, partially reverting memory optimizations from 1.12
- Minor correction to DescribableModel caching lookup
- Eliminates any risk looking up DescribableModels if different plugins somehow define identical but incompatible Describable classes in the same package and class
Version 1.12 (Feb 1, 2018)
- Major Optimizations:
- Cache negative-hits in Symbol lookup (i.e. "no match"), eliminating needless classloading and iteration over classes.
- Cache DescribableModels, eliminating classloading associated with creation.
- Net result: huge reduction in disk reads, lock contention (classloading), CPU use, and memory garbage generated.
- Minor optimization: reduce memory use and garbage generation (collection pre-sizing and use of Singleton collections)
- JENKINS-46122 Report base class name when symbol couldn't be resolved
Version 1.10 (Aug 03, 2017)
- Javadoc improvements.
annotation-indexerversion to match current core baseline, avoiding POM warnings in plugins depending on this one.
Version 1.9 (Jun 26, 2017)
- JENKINS-45130 When uninstantiating, qualify otherwise ambiguous class names for array and list properties.
Version 1.8 (Jun 15, 2107)
- JENKINS-44864 When uninstantiating, suppress values from
@Deprecatedsetters where the values have no effect on the resulting object.
Version 1.7 (May 25, 2017)
JENKINS-43337 Snippet generation should qualify otherwise ambiguous class names.
JENKINS-34464 Allow binding of parameters of type
Result, for example in the
JENKINS-31967 Handle remaining primitive types for parameters, for example
Version 1.6 (Feb 13, 2017)
- JENKINS-38157 Better diagnostics.
- Allow Groovy
GStringto be used in more places.
- API to check deprecation status of a type.
Version 1.5 (Aug 30, 2016)
- JENKINS-37820 Stack overflow in 1.4 under certain conditions.
Version 1.4 (Aug 26, 2016)
- JENKINS-37403 API for getting
Version 1.3 (Jul 28, 2016)
- JENKINS-29922 Support for
Version 1.2.0 (Jun 17, 2016)
- Added method to query deprecated methods (PR #5)
- Improve diagnostics for mismatched types (JENKINS-34070)
- Prevent recursions in the DescribableModel.toString() method (PR #3, related to JENKINS-32925)
Version 1.1.1 (Jun 16, 2016)
- Fix URL to the plugin's Wiki page in order to get it listed in Jenkins Update Center again (JENKINS-JENKINS-35918)
Version 1.1 (Mar 22, 2016)
- Many small commits made by Unknown User (kohsuke)
Version 1.0 (Mar 18, 2016)
- initial version