View Mask Passwords on the plugin site for more information.
The current version of this plugin may not be safe to use. Please review the following warnings before use:
This plugin is up for adoption. Want to help improve this plugin? Click here to learn more!
About this plugin
This plugin allows masking passwords that may appear in the console, including the ones defined as build parameters. This often happens, for example, when you use build steps which can't handle passwords properly. Take a look at the following example.
Consider you're using an Invoke Ant build step to run an Ant target. This target requires a password to achieve its goal. You would end up having a job configuration like this:
Of course, you could have created a variable to store the password and use this variable in the build step configuration so that it doesn't appear as plain text. But you would still end with a console output like this:
When activating the Mask passwords option in a job, the builds' Password Parameters (or any other type of build parameters selected for masking in Manage Hudson > Configure System) are automatically masked from the console. Furthermore, you can also safely define a list of static passwords to be masked (you can also define a list of static password shared by all jobs in Jenkins' main configuration screen). As such, the passwords don't appear anymore as plain text in the job configuration (plus it is ciphered in the job configuration file):
Once done, new builds will have the passwords masked from the console output:
First, go to Jenkins' main configuration screen (Manage Hudson > Configure System) and select, in the Mask Passwords - Configuration section, which kind of build parameters have to be automatically masked from the console output:
Notice that, as of version 2.7, you can also define global passwords (defined as pairs of name/password) that can be accessed across all jobs.
Then, for a specific job, activate the Mask passwords option in the Build Environment section to mask passwords from the console:
- All the password parameters defined for the job will be automatically hidden.
- For each other kind of password (that is, static ones) that may appear in the console output, add an entry (by clicking on the Add button) and set the Password field.
You may additionally set the Name field. If you do so, the password will then be available as a standard variable. It is then possible to refer to this password using this variable rather than keying it in a field which is not ciphered. Take a look at the screenshots above for an example.
Version 2.12.0 (Jun 01, 2018)
- PR #18 - Mask Passwords Console Log filter can be now applied to all Run types
- It should allow filtering Pipeline jobs once JENKINS-45693 is implemented
- Update minimal core requirement to 1.625.3
Version 2.11.0 (Mar 13, 2018)
- Update minimal core requirement to 1.625.3
- Developer: Update Plugin POm to the latest version
Version 2.10.1 (Apr 11, 2017)
- Prevent NullPointerException when loading configurations from the disk (JENKINS-43504)
Version 2.10 (Apr 08, 2017)
- Rework the Parameter Definition processing engine, improve the reliability of Sensitive parameter discovery
- Fix a number of issues with parameter masking reported to the plugin. Full list will be published later
Version 2.9 (30/11/2016)
- Add option to mask output strings by a regular expression, also with a global setting (PR #6)
- Properly invoke flush/close operations for the logger in MaskPasswordOutputStream (PR #8)
- Fix issues reported by FindBugs
- Update to the new Parent POM
Version 2.8 (18/10/2015)
- Implement SimpleBuildWrapper in order to support Workflow project type (JENKINS-27392)
Version 2.7.4 (29/07/2015)
- Password parameters were insensitive
- "Mask passwords" build wrapper was generating insensitive environment variables
Fixed issues (to be investigated and updated):
- Masking of global password parameters in EnvInject (JENKINS-25821)
- Masked Passwords are shown as input parameters in Build pipeline plugin (JENKINS-16516)
Version 2.7.3 (29/04/2015)
- Fixed JENKINS-12161: EnvInject vars could have been not masked because of plugins loading order
- Fixed JENKINS-14687: password exposed unencrypted in HTML source
Version 2.7.2 (12/07/2011)
- Fixed JENKINS-11934: Once a job config was submitted, new/updated global passwords were not masked
- Implemented JENKINS-11924: Improved global passwords-related labels
Version 2.7.1 (10/27/2011)
- Fixed JENKINS-11514: When migrating from an older version of the plugin,
NullPointerExceptions were preventing the jobs using Mask Passwords to load
- Fixed JENKINS-11515: Mask Passwords global config was not actually saved when no global passwords were defined
Version 2.7 (10/20/2011)
- Implemented JENKINS-11399: It is now possible to define name/password pairs in Jenkins' main configuration screen (Manage Hudson > Configure System)
Version 2.6.1 (05/26/2011)
- Fixed a bug which was emptying the console output if there was no password to actually mask
Version 2.6 (04/29/2011)
- Added a new type of build parameter: Non-Stored Password Parameter
- Blank passwords are no more masked, avoiding overcrowding the console with stars
Version 2.5 (03/11/2011)
- New configuration screen (in Manage Hudson > Configure System) allowing to select which build parameters have to be masked (Password Parameter are selected by default)
- Fixed a bug which was preventing to mask passwords containing regular expressions' meta-characters or escape sequences
Version 2.0 (02/23/2011)
- Builds' Password Parameters are now automatically masked.
Version 1.0 (09/01/2010)
- Initial release