If your Jenkins is hanging, we need some additional information from you to be able to diagnose the problem.
Tell us which kind of hang this is
First, check if Jenkins responds to the HTTP requests. For example, if it does but it always shows "Please wait while Jenkins is getting ready to work...", please tell that to us. If it doesn't respond to requests at all, please tell that to us, too.
The most common forms of hangups are:
- Jenkins shows "Please wait while Jenkins is getting ready to work..." for long time and it never comes up.
- Jenkins is not picking up HTTP requests, so all attempts to connect hang and no page is ever rendered. This is often caused by a dead lock.
- Jenkins runs out of heap space and goes into a fatal GC spiral.
Either case, check the following steps to obtain further details:
- See Obtaining a thread dump and obtain a thread dump.
- Use jmap -heap to obtain the heap summary information. This is primarily to see if the system is in the GC spiral. If possible, add the
-dump:format=b,file=heap.hprofoption to obtain the full heap dump, or use
kill -SIGABRTto generate the core dump. Send that to us and it'll be lot easier for us to understand what's going on.
Similarly, if the hang is the "Please wait while Jenkins is getting ready to work..." kind of hang, please repeat this process a few times with several minutes (or longer) interval and report them all.